Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sebree, Kentucky

There was more than enough room at the inn...





I was very fortunate on my trek across the country to come in contact with many nice people. Some of the nicest were in Sebree KY. I didn't know what to expect when I rang the bell at the church door. When the pastor greeted me with "Hello fellow cyclist", I instantly felt at ease.

The First Baptist Church of Sebree took great pride in hosting cyclists in their church. They converted the basement of their church into a cyclist hostel. The space consisted of a living room area with leather sofas and chairs that faced a big screen TV. At the opposite end of the room was the kitchen area that was filled with food that cyclists could prepare in the microwave or stove. There were 3 large sleeping rooms with 3-4 mattresses in each. In a corner of each of these rooms stood a shelf with clean sheets for each mattress as well as fresh towels for the shower! I shared the church basement with 3 other cyclists...A couple from New York and a gentleman from Boston.

To top it off...The pastor's wife did my laundry! The pastor wouldn't accept a donation. The next morning I left $10 folded in a postcard with a thank you message in the church's mailbox.

No comments: