Monday, July 24, 2006

Devils Lake, North Dakota




The Devils Lake area was interesting. Over the years I've heard that the "land surrounding the water is sinking into the lake." Whatever...I never thought too much about it. As it turns out...There may be something to the sinking theory.

My route took me 30-35 miles along the lake. There was lots of road construction. The current roads were not being repaired. New roads were being constructed because the roads that I were riding on would be under water in the next few years...At least that's what I was told by the locals. Its a long story, but they seem to blame environmentalists.

No farm is an island...Note the middle picture. It's difficult to see, but it's a picture of a farm that is halfway under water.

One more item regarding Devils Lake...It stunk! The smell of dead, rotting fish was always in the air. In one area I tied a hankerchief over my nose and mouth. I don't care to return.

No comments: