Thursday, July 06, 2006

Chester, MT

I couldn't make it to Shelby today. Around 315 this morning I looked out of the hotel window and saw an American flag blowing in a stiff west wind. If the wind was this strong this early, it was only going to get worse. I was on the road a little after 4AM. As expected the wind became more fierce as the sun came up. My bicycle computer read 6-9 mph for most of the morning. I decided to stop in Chester for the day and evening. It's a town of just over 800 people. I'm writing this entry in the town library.

It's hard to believe that Glacier National Park is less than 200 miles from Chester. After the past 5 days the Montana landscape has been the same...arid, flat, and desolate. The trip today was 60 miles. Today was the first day that I didn't pass a herd of cattle. The land is dry and densely populated. South of the route today and yesterday I could see the Bear Paw Mountains. Their not nearly as large as the Rockies, but I'm still glad I didn't have to peddle over them.

My body is holding up well. The boil is healing and hasn't caused me any trouble since Fargo. I have a few aches and pains but when one decides to ride his bike across the country...aches and pains are expected. I hit the 3000 mile mark this morning.

Until next time. Jamie

No comments: