Thursday, July 27, 2006

Lake Koocanusa





A few years back I visited the Lake Koocanusa area and was impressed with its clear water and impressive beauty. When I first purchased my bicycle maps and saw that I would be peddling along the lake for nearly 50 miles...I couldn't wait.

As I packed up camp in Eureka the sky was gloomy, I expected rain. As I approached the lake the sun started to break through the clouds. The lake was as beautiful as I remembered. Hwy 37, which wraps itself along the south side of the lake, rises and drops along bluffs and mountains. Countless views of the lake made the day a little longer than it should have been. If you are ever in the Glacier area...A drive up to Lake Koocanusa is worth the trip.

This ride took place on Tuesday July 11th. Along the lake I met 3 cyclists who left Anacortes on July 2nd. They were tired and unfit. If it took them 9 days to reach this point I knew I could be done with my trek in no more than 8 days. I reached the finish line the following Tuesday.

No comments: