Monday, July 24, 2006

Scenes From North Dakota


After leaving Fargo I peddled to Binford where I camped in a city park. Above is my second tent of the trip.


North Dakota had several marshes and wetland areas...Pelicans, swans, loons, and several varieties of ducks were easily seen from the road. ND surprised me with its beauty.


The first 50 miles out of Fargo was extremely flat and desolate. After awhile it occurred to me that I hadn't seen a vehicle on the road for miles. I waited for one to pass me. I decided to conduct an experiment. I wanted to see how many miles I could peddle on the yellow center line before I came in contact with a vehicle. I was facing a head wind so I was riding very slow. Because of my speed, I guessed I could get up to 5 miles before meeting a vehicle...I was wrong. I peddled 12.7 miles on the yellow line before a tractor(!) met me on the road.

No comments: