Friday, July 07, 2006

Cut Bank, MT

Today may have been the toughest ride of my trip. I was on the road a little after 5AM. The first 15 miles were uneventful...No wind. As I climbed a long gradual hill I had a sinking feeling that when I reached the top I was going to be greeted with a stiff headwind. Unfortunately, I was correct. The remaining 25 miles to Shelby were tough but manageable. As I reached Shelby the wind really started howling.

While checking the weather yesterday the forecast called for 10 mph winds until 3PM. After 3PM...20-25 mph gusts...Not good. I think the weather people at weather.com were still hung over from the long holiday weekend. The 20-25 mph gusts arrived around 9AM.

After a big breakfast in Shelby I started toward Cut Bank...25 miles away. I figured I had 9 hours to complete the 25 miles. I know this seems like a lot of time but I knew I would take several breaks. I took my first break 2 miles out of Shelby. I was already exhausted. Not only did I have to contend with the headwinds, I also had to deal with the wind from semi trucks traveling in the opposite direction. When a semi past I almost had to swerve into the wind as not to get blown off the road. The 25 miles miles between Shelby and Cut bank also featured several stings of rollercoaster like hills. Very fun.

I continued taking breaks every 2 miles until I reached Cut Bank. When I arrived my arms and legs were shaking. It has been almost 2 hours after I arrived and they are still shaking a bit. Day 4 (Blue Ridge Parkway) was tough, but the last 20 miles were somewhat easy on that day. I will contemplate over the next few days and decide which day was more challenging.

Halfway between Shelby and Cut Bank I spotted my first views of the Rockies. My goal is to camp in the east portion of Glacier National Park tomorrow night. Sunday morning I will climb Going-To-the-Sun Road which is in the Park. Sunday evening I will probably camp in the west section of the park.

Current stats:
Route miles complete: 3343.5
Miles peddled: 3116.79
Miles ahead of schedule: 686.7
Days ahead of schedule: 10.5
Curses directed at the wind: 83

Don't know when I will be able to write another entry. Until then, take care. Jamie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are doing great, ahead of schedule. Can't seem to meet up with you on the cell phone. Will keep trying though. Nancy Lake showed us another bountiful crop of beautiful sunnies and blue gills; believe it or not. Read the article in the Courier; you are a celebrity. Lots of people still asking about you. Hang in there! Thinking of you every day.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie good to read your posts, also good to see you for the two days you were headed across Montana. I don't remember exactly (you may have been with) but there is a road that goes across the Kootenai goes up a pretty good size mountain then comes down the Yaak valley. It's a pretty drive, but the mountain may not be worth it, plus there may be lots of campers up the Yaak. Hope this next leg of the journey goes well for you, the scenery may not be as pretty as glacier but it should offer you a more intimate view, as there will be alot less people to share the view with. Take care. Aaron

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
I hope the elements are being kind, and the downhills are long! Hang in there!
Deb M