Monday, May 09, 2011

Sanderson - Marathon...Day 23

Everything is bigger in Texas. This looks like the biggest stalk of asparagus in the world.
The route between Sanderson and Marathon is all up hill for West bound cyclists. This was a common sight.


These yellow and orange wild flowers were all along today's route.


Another example of a road that seems to go on to infinity. In the distance there are 2 vehicles. 13 minutes, 23 seconds lapsed between the time when I first spotted them to the time I met them on Hwy 90.


I wasn't expecting to see buffalo in the middle of the desert.


When I left Sanderson I could smell smoke, but didn't think too much about it. Once the sun rose I could see flumes of smoke rising from mountains to the North. Half way between Sanderson and Marathon a large group of fire-fighters were getting ready to do battle with the blaze. They were the toughest looking men and woman I've seen on the trip. God bless firefighters.

The photo below is is taken just North of Marathon. This was the 3rd fire seen today.

Below, firefighters preparing to take on the fire North of Marathon.

This morning in Marathon I met Susan and Joe. They have a little over 3 weeks pedaled into their trek from San Diego to St. Augustine. They are raising funds for cancer research. Their website can be found at: www.aicr.org/coast2coastbiking A short day on The Southern Tier. Over the past few days I've been suffering from a cold and sore throat. I'm hoping that a short day today and tomorrow and the bed rest that comes along with it will help me overcome this slight obstacle. The final total of the day was 56.19 miles.


Trip Stats:

Total miles pedaled: 1878.10

Route miles pedaled: 1875

Saddle time: 134:20'45

Forest/desert fires spotted: 3

No comments: