Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Bastrop - Blanco...Day 17

Courthouse...Lockhart, TX.


Started the day in Bastrop at 615am with a temp of 39 degrees. It was a cold morning but I soon forgot about the frigid temperatures when I realized I had a slight tailwind. It's amazing how light Big Red and my gear feels when I don't have a 25mph wind slamming me in my face. The road felt smoother and the hills I encountered before Lockhart seemed minute. Before I know it, I was in Lockhart, TX. When I finished eating breakfast, the clouds broke up and the remainder of the day was nothing but sunshine.


A small tid-bit about breakfast: I ate at a small diner called "The Country Kitchen". Including me there were 18 patrons enjoying breakfast. Of those 18 patrons, 11 were smoking...12 if you include the waitress who was inhaling smoke between delivering food and taking orders.

As I left Lockhart and headed to Kyle the route took me north. And who did I encounter? Nice to have you back Mr. Wind! As I passed golden wheat fields the wind played havoc with Big Red. She was all over the road. At least there were no hills.
The town of Kyle...This is for my wife's co-worker Kyle. He's been looking after her while I'm away. THANK YOU KYLE!

In Kyle, I met Jess (below) at a BBQ joint. As I dismounted BIG RED, Jess pulled up in a big pick-up truck. When he got out I asked him if the place was any good. He said it was good BBQ and asked me where I was headed. We chatted as we walked into the old metal building. After he placed his order he told the waitress to place my order on his ticket. The people I've met on this trip have been so friendly and kind. Jess, THANK YOU for lunch. It was nice to have good food and great conversation while eating lunch.



Hill Country...For the past 2 weeks I've meet countless eastbound bicyclists explaining the terrors of Texas Hill Country. After Kyle this hilly portion of Texas began for me on my westbound journey. In short, Texas Hill Country: Zero...Jamie & BIG RED: 1. The first 15 miles to Wimberly was simple. The only problem is the picture above. The entire 15 miles looked like this photo...Up and down, up and down, up and down, repeat, repeat, repeat. Easy rides are great, but some scenery would be nice. My goal this day was to make it to Wimberly and stay the night. After eating a snack it was only 2pm. As I looked at my map, Blanco was 23.5 miles away. I decided to go for it. Although there were more hills to Blanco than on the way to Wimberly, I made great time. Texas Hill Country: Zero...Jamie & BIG RED: 2. The contest will continue tomorrow.


Texas longhorns seen outside Blanco, TX


Below, The Blanco River

The day started at 500 feet above sea level in Bastrop. The day ended at 1250 above sea level in Blanco...93.24 miles pedaled.


TRIP STATS:

Total miles pedaled: 1471.30

Route miles pedaled: 1466

Days ahead of schedule: 2.o

Saddle time: 102:01'44

No comments: