Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Safford - Globe...Day 32

The photo above was taken on Day 31 about 10 miles Northwest of Duncan, AZ. Although I only pedaled 41.57 miles, it wasn't an easy day. To get out of the Gila River Valley, I had to conquer a 10 mile climb to get to level terrain. The level terrain didn't provide any relief due to the strong headwind greeting me once the climb was over.


After arriving in Safford, I wasn't done dealing with the wind. The entire town was under a high wind advisory. This is why I decided to have a short day. After finding lodging I tried to go for a walk. It was nearly imposable. I had to lean into the wind to walk West on a sidewalk. It was windy day in Safford!

Day 32: I was worried about today's wind all day yesterday. I checked weather.com every half hour and each time received the same information. All night long winds 5-10 mph, which is very manageable, and then beginning at 9am an increase of 5mph each hour until reaching a max of 40mph.
To combat the wind I set my alarm for 330am. My goal was to be on the road for 4am to beat as much of the wind as possible. Despite some killer roller-coaster hills and frigid temps I made it to Globe 77.40 miles later by 11am. As I arrived in Globe the wind began to howl. Day 32: Wind, zero...BIG RED & Jamie, 1.

All 3 photos of the saguaro cactus were taken while pedaling through the San Carlos Apache Reservation. If you are ever out West and want a unique experience...visit an Indian Reservation. It's a entire different world.

The photo below was taken East of Peridot, AZ as clouds began to roll in. Now, I was trying to beat the wind and race the rain clouds. As I write this there is a steady rain coming down in Globe. For the entire trip I've pedaled in 30-45 minutes of rain.

Below is a picture of Kenneth. Halfway between Peridot and Globe I noticed something ahead of me on the shoulder. I assumed it was another bicyclist. As I got closer I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a man pushing a shopping cart full of...stuff. The left front wheel was clack, clack, clacking just like a bad cart in a grocery store. Where did this guy come from? How long had he been pushing this cart? Was he homeless? I was determined to find out.


I pedaled around him, said hello and then asked "What's going on?" He introduced himself as Kenneth and said "Just pushing my cart...heading to Safford". I replied, "What's in Safford?" He said Safford was the next large town on his journey to the East Coast. I replied "BULLSHIT!" Kenneth replied "No bullshit!"


We were on Hwy 70. I began to think about the terrain I just covered over the last 60 miles. Although manageable, I was having a difficult time getting BIG RED and all of my gear up and over all of the roller-coaster hills. I knew more of the same was in store for me before I arrived in Globe. To think Kenneth pushed this cart with a bad front left wheel was difficult to believe.


"Kenneth, are you trying to tell me that You pushed that cart all the way from Globe?" Kenneth replied, "No, I started pushing it 4 months ago in Los Angeles." I didn't push him and took him at his word. As I checked him out, he looked really bad...almost malnourished.


I asked him if he had enough water and offered all I had. He refused and said he had over 5 gallons in his cart. I asked him if he had enough food and offered him some granola bars. Again, he refused and said he had all kinds of snacks in his cart. I then asked if he needed some cash. He politely said "No Thank You...what I really need is a cigarette." I couldn't help him with that, but I did say "If there was absolutely one thing that you needed, what would it be?" Kenneth looked to the ground and said "Well...If you had a cigarette, I guess it wouldn't matter because I don't have any matches". I dismounted BIG RED and reached my arm into one of my panniers searching for my emergency kit. When I found it, I took out a full book of matches and a bic lighter and handed them over to Kenneth. He thanked me with a huge smile. After taking his picture I wished him safe travels and was on my way.


At the first gas station in Globe I stopped so I could replace the lighter and matches. At the counter I asked the attendant if she had seen a guy pushing a cart East on Hwy 70 sometime yesterday. She said yes and that over the past 2 weeks travelers have been stopping to get gas and mentioning that there was a guy coming this way pushing a shopping cart. She said as the days went by travelers reported him getting closer...70 miles away, 60 miles down the road, 50 miles West of here, 40 miles at the next town...


Kenneth...Godspeed!

TRIP STATS:

Total miles pedaled: 2477.42

Route miles pedaled: 2517

Saddle time: 178:20'34

Miles ahead of schedule: 53

No comments: