Monday, May 16, 2011

Deming NM - Duncan AZ...Day 30

The farther West I get, the larger the yucca plants get...Cage, NM
Not surprisingly, once I crossed the Continental Divide...the route became a gentle grade down hill.

Another fire. I first noticed the smoke yesterday as I neared Deming. Because of the distance I assumed it was a large dust cloud. I've seen many of these over the last week or so. At first they look like clouds but as you approach them they have a dull tan or brown color to them. However, once I closed in I realized it was flumes of smoke from a fire. As you can see from the picture below, the smoke reached for miles across the horizon.

I was planning on ending my day in Lordsburg, NM. However, I reached that destination a little before 9am. I already had 60 miles completed so I pedaled around town looking for a place to eat breakfast. As I did this I came to a realization: Lordsburg, NM is a ghost town waiting to happen. Most of the buildings looked like they were condemed and the ones that had actually businesses in them looked like they should be condemed. After eating breakfast I decided to chance the wind and head to the next town on the map, Duncan AZ. I've followed Interstate 10 for the last 2 days and part of the 2 days before that. I was ready for a change of scenery. Hwy 70 extends Northwest of Lordsburg. It is a gem of a highway. It provides great views of hilly desert and it has nice wide shoulder.

I was sad. I only spent a little more than 48 hours in one of my all-time favorite states, New Mexico.

While in Lordsburg I called information and asked to be connected to any hotel/motel in Duncan. I was told there was only one listing: The Simpson Hotel. When I spoke to Deborah, the owner of the hotel, on the phone she explained that she enjoys having cyclists stay at her establishment so she cut me a great deal. When I reached Duncan I was surprised to find out that The Simpson Hotel is a beautiful B&B. As I type this, I'm sitting in the steady drinking a fresh ice cold glass of tea. I'm the only guest at The Simpson Hotel this evening. Check out The Simpson website: www.simpsonhotel.com







Below, a view of Duncan, AZ from a hilltop behind town.

I pedaled much farther than I expected to today. After arriving in Duncan BIG RED and I traveled 102.56 miles. Tomorrow will be a short 45-50 mile day to Safford, AZ. There is a major windstorm brewing in the Southwest. For the last 2 days local weather forecasts have been calling for 50-60 mph winds for Wednesday and Thursday of this week. There is no way I'm getting caught in anything like that again as once and twice was enough in Louisiana and West Texas. Winds are expected to pick up tomorrow afternoon. If I can make to Safford AZ by noon, I will consider the day a success.


Trip Stats:

Total miles pedaled: 2358.44

Average miles pedaled for trip: 78.61

Average miles pedaled on travel days: 84.23

Saddle time: 168 hours, 53 minutes, 53 seconds

1 comment:

Laura Estes said...

My dad told me about your blog, so I started to read it. And I saw about the javelina, I was wondering what they were so I looked them up. Check out this link, it has some information on them that seems a bit interesting. http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_javelina.shtml
Anyways, keep up with the good work, I look forward to reading more. Laura Estes