Friday, May 13, 2011

Ft. Davis - Van Horn...Day 26

Was on the road by 5am. About 2 minutes after taking this photo I was savagely attacked by a wild pack of javelina. That story will be posted by the end of the trip.
No matter how many times I see a view like this it makes me laugh. I pedal for miles upon miles and finally a hill appears. Every time I'm about ready to reach the hill's crest I have visions of a new landscape...but it never happens. It's like a bad episode of The Twilight Zone when someone is cursed to repeat the same series of events over and over again. It's time to change the channel!


FM (farm to market) Road 505. This was my short cut for the day. This route cut out about 10 miles and over 1000 feet in elevation.


At first I thought this was a mirage...or a nightmare. I wasn't expecting to see a Prada store in the middle of the desert. Marfa, TX was about 35 miles to the left and Van Horn was 32 miles to the right. When I say it was in the middle of nowhere I mean it. There was merchandise in the window!


Below, an orchard of pecan trees...Hwy 90.

The day of rest helped. The wind wasn't nearly as bad as expected. It was also nice to be out of fire danger. After pedaling 83.69 miles, I arrived in Van Horn, TX at 1045am. I was thinking about continuing to Sierra Blanca which was another 31 miles down Interstate 10. However, after eating a late breakfast, I wasn't surprised when a fierce headwind was coming out of the Northwest. Van Horn provided the best of 2 worlds. I got a bunch of miles in and I had a long day of rest.


TRIP STATS:



Total miles pedaled: 2017.58



Route miles pedaled: 2020



Saddle time: 145:06'35



Miles ahead of scheduler: 22

2 comments:

Becky said...

Jamie- I have been meaning to get out here and check out your blog. Your pictures and captions are great! I hope all is going well and I can't wait to hear about your attack by the juv..?@# Glad to hear that you were able to overcome your flat tire mishap earlier in your trip. -Be Safe

Becky

Mark said...

What the hell is a Javelina?