Sunday, May 15, 2011

Las Cruces - Deming...Day 29

Leaving Las Cruces. This photo was taken on Interstate 10. For the next 3 days I will be off route. After doing some calculations I decided pedal West from Las Cruces instead of going North. This 3 day detour/short-cut will only reduce distance by 40-45 miles. However, it will save several thousand feet of elevation climb. Also, it might cut 1-2 days from the trip. Today, I pedaled 61.61 miles.
My 3rd immigration checkpoint of the trip. For the record...border control officers don't appreciate wiseguys. When I was asked "Are you a U.S. citizen?" I replied, "Corn feed and hand spanked from Iowa". The border control officer paused, took his dark sunglasses off, tilted his head to look straight in my eyes and said "Answer the question. Are you a U.S. citizen?" I quickly replied "Yes Sir". He then directed me to "Get the hell on your way!" I obliged and didn't look back.


This is always a comforting sign to see. After pedaling 15 miles, there was another sign saying the same thing.


They talk and spell funny down here in the Southwest.


Spending the night in Deming, NM. If you ever find yourself in Southern New Mexico I highly recommend visiting The Deming Luna Mimbres Museum. The museum is in an old armory
and holds thousands of treasures that I couldn't believe were under one roof.


I love these old motel signs. Many of you have asked me where I have been sleeping at night. When I see a sign like this advertising a room for $30, its hard for me to pay $20 at a local camp ground. Below are pictures of what $30 (yes, $30...I offered to pay cash so the motel's proprietor did not charge me tax) gets you in Southern New Mexico. It's basically a small apartment.










No comments: