Sunday, May 08, 2011

Comstock - Sanderson...Day 22

Day 21...I took the day off and only pedaled 30.59 miles from Del Rio to Comstock. It was an easy ride that took me over Amistad Reservoir.

Day 22...Started pedaling by 530am. Although the ride yesterday was easy, it was extremly hot. My strategy for the next few days is to begin the day super early to beat as much heat as possible. It's amazing how many animals are close to the the road when its pitch dark out. My head lamp was bright enough to see coyotes, wild boars, deer, and other critters run across the road in front of me. At times it was spooky to hear the "clack, clack, clack" of what I assume were deer hoofs running on the road in front of me.

Lozier Canyon between Langtry and Dryden, TX.


Hwy 90 doesn't go on forever between the Atlantic and the Pacific...but at times it sure seems like it.

One of many dry river beds I crossed today.

In Dryden I met Karen, Roger, and Ed. Karen is their support driver in their quest to reach St. Augustine, FL from San Diego, CA.


Terrell County Airport...The heat was getting to me today. Unfortunately there were no flights out of Sanderson today, this week, this month...and most likely, this year.

Below, 20 miles outside of Sanderson, TX

Before the day started I assumed the service stations in Langtry and Dryden were closed for Mother's Day. I was correct. Luckily, I packed twice as much water and 3 times as much food as I normally carry with me. Surprisingly, the extra weight was not noticed and I reached Sanderson from Comstock by 1pm with a respectable 89.08 miles pedaled. The elevation gain at the end of the day was 1500. Sanderson has an elevation of nearly 3000 feet.


TRIP STATS:

Total miles pedaled: 1821.90

Route miles pedaled: 1820.5

Saddle time: 129:18'17

Days ahead of schedule: 1.6

Average miles pedaled per day: 82.81


















4 comments:

Deb and Larry said...

Desolate country - take care of yourself.

Mark said...

I like the sunrise picture...that's my favorite time of the day.

Also, peddling along HWY 90 you have to be singing a little Robert Earl Keen (you are in Texas)...

"The road goes on forever, but the party never ends..."

Mark said...

I also think it's funny, that I bike on US 90 pretty regularly.

Of course, it's 2000 miles from were you are, but still the same road.

JSK said...

You are looking good! I enjoy looking at your pictures and wish you well!
V/r John Keating
Sun Prairie