Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ponce De Leon to Milton...Day 5

Who knew swamps were loud? Frogs croaking, crickets chirping, and birds calling...The swamps are so load in Florida they are almost deafening. A few times the sound coming from the swamps have muffled the sound of traffic approaching from behind me.




I met 65 year old Timo today. He lives in Finland and he recently retired. He told me "What better way to celebrate life and retirement by seeing the United States by bicycle!" Agreed! He began his trip in San Diego on March 3rd. What feat of strength or endurance will you accomplish before your 65th birthday?




Whenever I see one of these bright orange sandy roads I think it would be cool to return one day and tackle them on my mountain bike.




Part of today's route took BIG RED and me on the Blackwater State Bike Trail. The trail is paved and traveled through countless swamp and wet areas.




A bike THANK YOU to Eric at Truly Spokin' in Milton. BIG RED needed a tune-up and Eric took care of her quickly so we could get back on the road. Eric, you are a true professional!




Overall it was a good day of pedaling. I reached Milton around 230pm after traveling 77.89 miles. My goal for the trip is 77 miles a day...So today, was truly average in distance.






Tomorrow, I'll pedal through Pensacolo and into Alabama.

1 comment:

Deb and Larry said...

Cool name for a bicycle shop. And good for Timo! Happy trails Jamie!