Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Quincy to Ponce De Leon...Day4

Old school house~Gretna, FL



Share the road with bicyclists...and turtles


Pedaled by lots of swamp scenery like this today


Choctawhatchee River


For the second time in 4 days I ate at The Whistle Stop Cafe. This one is located in Westville FL and was once the town's post-office. Good food! Sweet potato fries are quickly becoming my favorite food of the trip.


Day 4 was a success. Arrived in Ponce De Leon around 4pm after pedaling 91.82 miles. My legs felt less heavy today. I consumed more Gatoraide today than water. This will be repeated tomorrow to determine if that is the prescription for "heavy legs".


Meet 3 bicyclists today heading to St. Augustine. All 3 started in San Diego CA near the beginning to mid-March. All 3 had smiles on their faces due to coming close to accomplishing their goal of conquering the Southern Tier.


After 4 days...

Total miles pedaled: 424.67

Saddle time: 32 hours, 1 minutes, 27 seconds

Days with sun and 80 degree weather: 4

Days with snow: zero










3 comments:

John said...

Jamie, Hello my name is John Estes. I live in Middleton, WI. I saw a news blurb on a local tv broadcast. I thought what you were doing sounded pretty cool. Then a week or so I looked at you blog and was just blown away. I am semi disabled and have lots of time on my hands and have sites I browse regularly, but yours is by far the best. I have been reading your old blogs and enjoying some of the past stuff and great photos. I got distracted by something for a couple of days and missed your start to your trip. I am going to try to spread the word about your trek and good cause for the MOD and definitely pledging what I can afford. I'll be eagerly following your posts and great photos. Once again I think what you are doing and sharing it is fantastic. I feel like I have become your number one groupie. Stay strong and ride safe, I be watching you along the way and think of all the great places you are experiencing.Till your next post or need anything my email is johnestes53@gmail.com and my cell is 608-354-3503. I am following you on my iPAd 2 that I just got. Wish you could shoot and post video, but the photos are great. What you are doing is inspiring. Go Jamie.

Deb and Larry said...

Good work Jamie - will keep checking your progress. Enjoy seeing what you are seeing as you bike across the country.

Anonymous said...

Loving the daily updates. I look forward to seeing beautiful places and laughing when you say you're a slacker for only riding a "pathetic 65.64 miles" and mentally chastising you for bragging about no snow. LOL

My John "discovered" your blog the other day too - and loves it.

Your photos are fabulous - I'll be you're loving the new camera.

Stay safe and happy - Janet