Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easy and Uneventful

The first day is complete. Although the day was relatively uneventful...it was the easiest bicycle touring day I've experienced. The roads were smooth. The weather was perfect. BIG RED felt great. I started the day at 5:15AM in downtown St. Augustine and ended the day 140.07 miles later in High Springs. Saddle time: 10 hrs, 30 minutes, 10 seconds.
Today's route took me by several orchards

BIG RED taking a rest in Hawthorne, Florida
One of the highlights of the day was riding 15 miles on the paved Gainsville-Hawthorne State Bicycle Trail. Most of the trail was shaded. In fact, 40-45% of the day was shaded. I have a feeling this will not be the case when I get to Texas.
While planning this trip I often wondered if I would get to see a gator. As luck would have it I saw one on the first day.


No comments: