Friday, April 22, 2011

MIlton, FL - Bayou La Batre, AL...Day 6

foggy morning...on my way to Pensacola



Pleasant Grove, FL

beach scene near Orange Beach, AL


leaving the ferry terminal


on the ferry crossing Mobile Bay



above/below...crossing Mobile Bay and Mississippi Sound using the Gordon Parsons Bridge


After 5 days and 6 mornings of zig-zagging my way across northern Florida...The sunshine state is in my rear view. Day 6 is the most scenic day of the trip so far. Pedaling along the gulf was fantastic. After my 430am wake-up call and looking outside I was confronted with super thick fog. After preparing to leave I took a quick nap and was on the road just after 545am. The fog was persistent, but in the end it didn't hinder my navigation.


The ferry ride from Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island was a welcome 45 minute break. I met some real nice folks from Alabama and Sacramento, California.


After an early morning and hot day I arrived in Bayou La Batre, AL at 330pm after pedaling 99.51 miles.


A few trip stats...

Total miles pedaled: 602.07

Saddle time: 44 hours, 5 minutes, 2 seconds.

Bottles of Gatorade consumed: 22

Dead armadillos spotted along my route: well over 50

Live armadillos spotted along my route: zero


I have a feeling that I won't be able to post anything tomorrow due to lack of wi-fi service. However, I should be able to post a view status updates via facebook. If you haven't already done so...friend me on facebook.

3 comments:

Mark said...

I was wondering if you were going to take the ferry route...that's they way I would have done it.

Also, isn't Bayou La Batre were Bubba was from?

jamie d said...

Mark, from what I was told...Bubba was from there. I saw some shrimp boats, but no sign of "Jenny"

Anonymous said...

We have to thing at this situation that the end of the race when i picked up my bike from transition i noticed my rear tire was really low on air. it wasn't flat but something went wrong somewhere. Wheels Florida