Saturday, June 03, 2006

Week One In the Books

All is well. Tomorrow I will cross into the state of Kentucky. Its been a challenging 7 days. I knew the hills of Virginia would be tough...But not this tough. Tonight I'm in Damascus VA...A great little town that I hope to vacation to in the near future...It is an outdoors person's paradise. I'm staying in a hostel with a guy from Alabama and a couple from Holland who are going opposite directions on the Appalachian trail. Nice people. Today was a day of rest...I rode just over 50 miles. The last 18 were downhill...It was a beautiful ride that rode along a river that had waterfalls. Several times as I zoomed down I was sprayed by the water of the falls. Lots of great fly-fishing opportunities were abound. I also met another cyclist named Rob from England. I rode with him until the downhill section...I lost him. I was up to speeds of 40 mph...Could have gone faster but the owners manual of my trailer said to stay under 15 mph. Hope all is well at home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie, congratulations on going for your dream. It sounds like a great start to your travels. We wish you safe biking throughout your journey. God Bless You!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie,
WOW, 40 mph! That's totally out of control! I can't quite fathom it. I bet the breeze and the spray was excellent, though. Take good care!
deb m

Anonymous said...

Jamie- Sounds like you're meeting some very intersting people. That's awesome! Hope you're taking lots of pictures...the scenery sounds incredible. Gail

Anonymous said...

Good Job Jamie

The staff and I here are keeping track of your progress and wish you the best of luck. So far it sounds great and interesting.

Clark

Anonymous said...

You read the owners manual? Vacation soon? I thought you were on vacation?
Grant C

Anonymous said...

Jamie-your always up to something , and continue to suprize me . looking forward to following your progress , take care
you'll be in my prayers

Kenny Livingston

Anonymous said...

Sorry for being quiet for so long. The trip to Mexico was fun. The first three days I had too much to drink surprise surprise. Good to be back close to the computer to monitor your progress. Way to go brother. One state down and what, 15 to go? I can't wait to see you come to Montana and get a chance to see you. I'm planning on visiting with you for atleast two weekends. Good luck and keep on truckin'. Glad to here you are able to meet up with some nice folks along the way. I know the weight might be kind of tuff, but a diary of this trip and the people you meet might be worthwhile.