Friday, June 30, 2006

New Town, ND

A tough day of peddling. The westward head winds were in full force today. I was on the road by 6AM which helped me for the first 40 miles...After that I was welcomed with a stiff head wind and an afternoon shower that lasted 20 minutes. Once the rain was gone, the sun came out and was extremely hot. I made it to New Town ND at 3PM. The reason for spending the evening here is that the next town of Williston is 74 miles away. There are no services between New Town and Williston. My route is 4213 miles. Of all those miles tomorrow's ride to Williston is the only time Adventure Cycling warns you to be careful and bring enough water and food. It should be an interesting ride. I've talked to several cyclists over the past few days who were traveling East. They all said that the 74 miles is breath-takingly gorgeous. Over the past 4 days I've been very surprised of how pretty ND is.
I'm writing this entry at the New Town library. The computer is from the Carter administration and will not allow me to download photos.

Future story to tell: Yesterday I decided to take a shortcut through a wildlife refuge. BAD IDEA. There wasn't a listing of the animals in the refuge. About a mile in I came across a herd of buffalo on the road in a wooded area. My first instinct was to "ride through" the herd. But because my only experience with buffalo is eating buffalo wings I decided to turn around. I captured the herd in pictures and look forward to sharing them with you.

In a previous entry I thanked my friend Kenny for visiting me in Dyersville IA. A few days ago I received a phone call from Jenz. He somehow knows Kenny and is a journalist for the Waterloo Courier. He wanted to write a story on my bike trek. Last night we chatted for an hour and then he called Liz to ask her a few questions. To make a long story short...If Monday is a slow news day...There will be a story on me in the Waterloo (Iowa) Courier.

Strangely, this morning as I was riding in the middle of nowhere ND there was a news crew interviewing 2 female cyclists who were traveling East. I think they were cycling for charity. I stopped by and the reporter asked me tons of questions. There was a guy there with a TV camera. I think the reporter was from the local CBS station out of Minot. You may be able to go on their website and download the story...If it was aired. If they air it...I'm sure I will be seen.

When I get back to town I'll let you know when and where I'll be signing autographs.

Until next time...Jamie

No comments: