Sunday, June 18, 2006

IS THIS HEAVEN...?

I've completed 22 days of the trek. Spending the evening in Dyersville IA. For none movie fans, FIELD OF DREAMS, was filmed here.

Liz met up with me Friday afternoon in Muscatine IA. It was nice to see her. I've missed her greatly. It was also nice to have her haul all of my stuff the last 2 days. It was the first time this year that I've ridden outside without panniers attached to the bike. Extremley lite!

Last night we spent the night in Wyoming IA. After getting settled in we drove to Anamosa IA. While there we ate dinner at a winery and then went to see X-Men. The theater was very old. Tickets were $3 per person and a medium popcorn cost $1.50...what a deal! Popcorn never tasted so good.

Tomorrow I'll peddle to Prairie du Chen WI and then on Tuesday I'll peddle to La Crosse. The terrain between here and there will be more hilly than the last 4 days. Illinois and southeast Iowa was very good to me. The wind was at my back for 4 days and the terrain was extremely flat. On Friday I had my 4th century day of the trip...100.30 miles. On Thursday I peddled 113.89 miles...this was the first time that I've had back to back century days of my cycling career.

STATS:

I've covered 1796 route miles and peddled 1635.79 miles...I continue to shave off a mile here and there with short cuts. Today I cut out about 14 miles. I'm 370.4 miles / 5.7 days ahead of schedule. I've averaged 81.6 route miles per day.

My body is holding up well. Besides a sore ass, left elbow, left knee, a numb big toe on my right foot, and a little chaffing...all is well.

I'm looking forward to entering Minnesota and starting a more west-wardly route.

Until next time...Jamie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie,
So glad to hear the great progress you are making! Welcome back to the midwest. May your saddle seem like a sofa, and the wind remain at your back!! Still in our prayers...
Deb and Tony

Anonymous said...

Jamie and Liz it was great visiting with you today. good luck with the westward journey .you'll be in my prayers and i give you a call next saturday
Kenny

Anonymous said...

Hello Jamie, what an awesome adventure! I bet your having a blast. I heard you were in Iowa. Have fun, Al

Anonymous said...

I just knew you wouldn't go this long with going to the movies!