Thursday, June 15, 2006

Alive & Peddling

Hello All...I'm ok. Sorry for the lack of activity. Access to internet has been scarce on my trek and Liz has been swamped at work.

Quick stats: I've peddled 1450.17 miles. I've taken a few short cuts...the biggest being going through St. Louis. ...and when I say through St. Louis...I main I peddled through every ghetto section of the town...I even rode right downtown...but I made it and the short cut knocked off at least 125 miles.

Total route miles peddled: 1595...which translates into 83.9 route miles per day. I'm 363.8 miles/5.6 days ahead of schedule. Tonight I'm in Keokuk IA.

A few comments...

I had to dump my trailer...it was killing me. On Sunday my brother Matt met me in Carbondale IL. The next day he took the trailer home with him along with 2 dry bags. The difference is night and day. I can't Believe I hauled it over 1000 miles!

I've had 3 century days. Day 9 104.16 miles from Elk Horn KY to Buckhorn KY. It was my first full day in KY...Couldn't wait to get out.

Day 12, 115.99 miles from somewhere in KY to Falls of Rough KY...I really wanted to get out of Kentucky.

Today, Day 19, from Hardin IL to Keokuk IA. Today was a perfect day for riding...flat, wind at my back, and about 85 degrees. I started a little after 7Am and was done by 4PM...great day.

Thank you to Brad, Stacy, Todd, Joe, and Tammy for calling and checking up on me. Also thanks to everyone who has left comments on the blog....they are all appreciated.

Friday and Saturday will be short peddle days as Liz is meeting me in Burlington IA for the weekend. But on Sunday it's "back in the saddle" again. I should be passing through the La Crosse area Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

...And from the "it could only happen to Jamie" file...Liz's brother Aaron (he has left a few comments on the blog...the guy who went to Mexico) was hit by a car on Tuesday...while doing what? Riding his bike! He was in ICU for 2 days and suffered a broken leg which required surgery yesterday. Currently he is still in the hospital and is doing good. Hang in there Aaron. Liz was freaked out by the incident and I thought I was going to have to cut my trek short...but cooler heads prevailed. It's funny, Tuesday, while peddling as fast as I could through St. Louis I kept thinking..."Jamie, you're an idiot for taking this short cut, you could suffer much bodily harm...if not from trafic...from the locals".

Until next time...Jamie

No comments: