Monday, May 15, 2006

The Bike


This is my rig. I purchased my Trek 7500FX five years ago. For the trip I replaced the original rims with super lite, super heavy duty VELOCITY rims that can handle 350 pounds on each wheel. The rims are made in Australia. I also replaced the chain and the gear cassette. The tires are Panaracer Pasela TourGuards. These tires have a kevlar strip. Bullet proof vests are made of kevlar.

Although it is not shown in the picture I will have a second water bottle installed under the seat. As you can see there is a tire pump under the cross bar. The case on the handlebars will carry my camera and other items that I will need quick access to. The top of this case has a clear plastic pocket. I will use this to read my map as I ride. The case over the back wheel will carry extra tubes, tools, 2 msr tanks, and a small stove. Of my 6 carrying cases, this is the only one that is not water-proof. On each side of the back tire there is a pannier. These will carry clothing, electrical items, toiletry items, and a few packets of freeze dried food...Yummy! I will write about the trailer on my next post.

No comments: