Saturday, January 15, 2011

Needles Highway ~ Custer State Park ~ South Dakota

As Midwest scenic drives go...The Needles Highway is as good as any. Interesting and unique landscapes are a must of any beautiful drive. The Needles Highway provides these sights via tall granite "needles" shooting out of the top of The Black Hills in Custer State Park, South Dakota.

The Needles Highway is 37.8 miles long and has more curves and turns than any scenic highway that I've traveled.

The highway features several tunnels that can barely fit one car. In fact, while I was driving it the thought of "an eye of a needle" came to mind and I assumed this is where the highway received it name.

I only spent one day exploring Custer State Park. Most of that time was spent sight-seeing along The Needles Highway. I don't know when, but, I will return for a longer visit.

1 comment:

Custer Resorts said...

So glad you had time to sightsee at Custer State Park. Next time you visit, check out the lodges we have to offer. www.custerresorts.com