Monday, January 03, 2011

Devils Tower National Monument

Traveling east/west on I90 near the Wyoming/South Dakota border can be a monotonous task. If traveling west one can anticipate the grandeur of mountainous landscapes and Big Sky views. You quickly, or should I say slowly realize, your anticipations don't materialize for another 400 miles. If traveling east, there's not much to anticipate as South Dakota and Minnesota provides all things opposite of a scenic drive.


Over the years the Devils Tower National Monument's exit has caught my eye, but I just could never pull the trigger to drive the 30 miles north to view the monument. However, in September 2010 I was headed back home from a bicycling and fly-fishing trip in Montana and found myself ahead of schedule. I decided to take the exit and find out if the 60 mile round trip was worth it. What's 60 more miles out of a 5000 mile trip?

Devils Tower National Monument (DTNM) facts:
  • There is no apostrophy in "Devils"

  • DTNM is located in the Black Hills of Northeastern Wyoming

  • The surrounding terrian is 1267 feet above sea level. The height of the monument is 5112 above sea level

  • Established as a monument on September 25, 1906 by Theodore Roosevelt










Was DTNM worth the side trip? Yes. Is it worth the side trip every year I pass the exit? No.

No comments: