Friday, August 11, 2006

WASHINGTON PASS: On the Way Down

Windy Day





I thought it would be all down hill after reaching Washington Pass...I was partly correct. There was a 35 mile down hill run of various grades. This may sound easy...But it wasn't. The winds coming up the mountain were fierce. If I tried coasting I could barely reach a speed of 10mph. Although the strongest was a headwind I was also getting hit from the left and right with strong winds. More times than I care to remember the wind would push my bicycle into the guard-rail...My front and back inside pannier would rub against the rail. My heart pounded.

Above are a few pictures of the trip down. There were countless waterfalls like above falling on the hwy. Many times, because of the wind, mist and large drops from the falls would blow in my face. Sometimes the wind was so strong that the wind would carry the mist and drops from the opposite side of the road and I would get completely soaked.

No comments: