Thursday, August 10, 2006

LOOK-OUT

TOP OF THE WORLD





The phrase "TOP OF THE WORLD" refers to 2 feelings that I had when I made it to the top of Washington Pass. The first refers to the height and scenery that I saw from this view point. Of almost 4000 miles the views that I saw at this point were the best of the trip. Secondly, the phrase refers to the feeling of accomplishment I felt of finishing the last pass. At this point it was around 11AM on the 2nd to last day. It was all downhill from this point. I thought the last day and a half would be simple. As I will explain in a future post...I WAS WRONG.

WASHINGTON PASS LOOKOUT: A week before reaching the Cascades I met several cyclists traveling east that praised the scenic wonders of the Washington Pass Lookout. To my dismay when I reached the top of the pass the road that went to the look-out was closed. There were two large gates blocking the road and there wasn't an explanation for the closure. I decided to break the law. I reached the gates and walked my bicycle around the closure and then peddled the mile to the look-out. When there, I was greeted by 5 National Forest workers that were remodeling a large welcome center. I said hello...They said hello...I continued to the look-out and took the above pictures.

No comments: