Saturday, August 05, 2006

One More Pass


Washington Pass...2nd to last day.


When you are riding your bicycle and see a sign like the one above...You know you are going to have a long few hours. Climbing the east side of the Cascades to Washington Pass...19.5 miles.





I tried to do the smart thing. After killing myself on Sherman Pass I decided to try something different. I reached the beginning of Washington Pass around noon the day before. When I reached Sherman Pass at the same time after riding 55-60 miles...I tackled the pass and paid for it. At the base of Washington Pass there was a nice bed & breakfast that had special rates for cyclists. Because I had already peddled 60 miles I decided to check in. My hope was to get a great nights sleep and be energized for the last climb the next day.

BAD PLAN

The B&B had 10 rooms and was extremely quiet all day long...Maybe too quiet. About 10 miles before I reached the base of Washington Pass I peddled through the town of Winthrop...population just over 150 people. But not on this day. Winthrop was celebrating "Blues Fest". There must have been 10,000 people in town. To make a long story short...the occupants of the other 9 rooms showed up around 9PM. They were extremely wasted and extremely loud. I woke up the next morning with only 3 hours of sleep under my belt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie

This is Jim Summers, the guy you met in Glacier who loaned you the sleeping pad. You had wanted a copy of my description of the Continental Divide trip. I converted that to PDF and sent it to lizjamie@verizon.net yesterday. I also sent a description of this summer's activities and two photos of you. Both came back saying you don't exist. I shall resend if I can get a valid address.

Jim Summers

Anonymous said...

Opps, I forgot my own email here. JimSummers@austin.rr.com