Friday, July 13, 2012

TONGUE RIVER, WY

In early August 2011 I met my brother-in-law Aaron near Burgess Junction, WY to do a little fly fishing on the Tongue River. The year before Aaron relayed stories of countless trout caught on this river that I thought were exaggerated. Who hasn't stretched the truth when it comes to fish stories? Aaron claimed to have caught over 200 trout a day for a week straight. In the back of my mind I thought "yeah, whatever". However, as I thought more about it, even if he was stretching the truth by 50%, 100 fish a day for a week straight would be legendary.


The Tongue River is 265 miles long and is a tributary of The Yellowstone River. Simply stated, the river is beautiful. Lined with pine tress and filled with clear ice cold snow melt, The Tongue River is the type of fly fishing water that you dream about. The river has perfect habitat for trout with an endless supply of pools and rocky runs. Over a five day period we fished 6 miles of the river. The entire 6 mile portion was a trout run.



The Tongue River forms in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming and ends 265 miles away in Miles City, Montana.






Over a 5 day period I caught between 150-200 trout a day. I felt my line was tight all day long for 5 days. It's difficult to keep track, but I know Aaron caught more. Each time I looked up or down stream, Aaron's rod was bent from a trout attempting to escape in the strong current of The Tongue River. The plan was to fish for 7 days. I caught so many fish my right shoulder gave out in the middle of day 5 from pulling in rainbow after rainbow.


Below, an early morning view of our campsite from the door of my tent.



No comments: