Saturday, July 21, 2012

Bruneau Canyon ~ Idaho

Getting to Bruneau Canyon isn't easy. While in Mountain Home, ID last August I nonchalantly asked a gas station attendant "What is there to do around here?". She told me of a gravel road lined with wild sunflowers and a canyon in the middle of a desert. She ended the description with "It's a little over 50 miles away". Because I had lots of time and was ahead of schedule, I decided to take the time to check out this natural wonder. Besides, what are the chances of ever being in this portion of Idaho again?

As I drove South of Mountain Home on Hwy 51 I didn't see any sunflowers. In fact, I didn't see any vegetation other than sage brush. It wasn't until I saw the first sign directing me to Bruneau Canyon that I noticed sunflowers. The road was in fact gravel and straight as an arrow for 18.7 miles. As you can see above the gas station attendant was correct...the gravel road was lined with sunflowers.

Bruneau Canyon is 60 miles long. The canyon's widest point is 1300 feet and has an average depth of 800 feet.


"Bring me then the plant that points to those bright Lucidites swirling up from the earth, And life itself exhaling that central breath! Bring me the sunflower crazed with the love of light" ~ Egenio Montale

Photos taken Wednesday, August 17, 2011

No comments: