Saturday, February 04, 2012

Bicycling: A Great Winter Activity?

Who knew bicycling could be a great winter activity? While traveling for a work assignment I noticed this "ski bike" in front of a bike shop. The bike shop owner was kind enough to take it for a slide (spin). Although the ski-bike pedaled very "clunky" I see it as a viable option for short errands. The pull behind sled was very lite and was virtually unnoticed as I pedaled down a street and over a snow covered field. I tried my best to make the back tire escape from the track. I couldn't do it.







Talk about fat tires! Notice the quarter for scale. The Surly Pugsley is a monster. The bike shop owner suggested I take it onto some fresh snow on a nearby frozen lake. There was at least 12 inches of snow. With the tires only at 10 psi the Pugsley easily carved threw the snow while at the same time almost floating over the fluffy white stuff. I was shocked with the lack of effort it took to make it across the lake and back to the shop.








No comments: