Monday, November 14, 2011

What are the chances?

What are the chances of getting a flat tire on the the same stretch of road by the same puncture method exactly 2 years to the day apart?

That's exactly what happened earlier this year in July. Two years prior I was pedaling through Marshall WI on Hwy 19 when I heard a "click, click, click" as my front wheel rotated. When I stopped to check on the sound I saw a staple embedded into the tread of the tire. I changed the tube. Not a big deal.

Exactly 2 years later I found myself in Marshall WI pedaling down the same stretch of Hwy 19 when I suddenly heard a "click, click, click". As I stopped I remembered my flat from 2 years earlier. Although I wouldn't find out the exact date until I arrived home to check my bicycle journal I already was thinking it was quit a coincidence when I saw the staple in the front wheel (see photo).

So, what are the chances? I don't know, but I will think twice before pedaling on Hwy 19 in Marshall.


No comments: