Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Technically Not Venomous?!?

The meanest looking snake I've ever seen...The hognose snake.



While riding bicycle near Iola, WI. I spotted the meanest looking snake I've ever seen. It was a hot day and I was pedaling up a long incline. Near the crest of the incline I stood on my pedals to finish the hill off when I looked down and spotted the snake raise its head off the ground and do a striking motion toward the front wheel of BIG RED. Although startled, I safely pedaled about 25 feet past the snake and preceded to take a few photos of the reptile.

After doing some research I concluded that the meanest looking snake I've ever seen was a hognose snake that is a type of colubrid snake characterized by an upturned snout. Hognose snakes are rear-fanged and "technically not venomous". What does that mean?

No comments: