Saturday, August 13, 2011

Nolan Lake River Dam, Kentucky...Gar

The Nolan Dam is in central Kentucky and creates a large recreational area that focuses on aquatic activities...boating and fishing.





The river below the dam had several people fishing in its dark waters.





All of the people had traditional fishing poles except for 2 guys. As I walked down the river I said to myself "are those guys using a bow?"





As I got closer I noticed that there were using a compound bow and that they had already shot (caught?) two gar. It was the first time that I've seen a gar outside of an aquarium.





How would you like to be bit by a gar? Ouch!





A few facts on gar: 1) Gar can inhabit fresh, brackish, and occasionally marine, waters of Eastern North America, Central America, and the Caribbean Islands. 2) Gar is an Old English word meaning "spear". 3) There are many species of gar, including the alligator gar that can exceed 10 feet in length!





A nice catch!

No comments: