Monday, June 13, 2011

Sunset Cliffs

Just South of Ocean Beach in San Diego is some of the most beautiful Pacific shoreline that I've ever seen...Sunset Cliffs. Two days after finishing my trek across the United States I set out to explore this area by pedaling South on Sunset Cliffs Blvd.

Sheer cliffs are the dominate scenery in this portion of California.


Sunset Cliffs Natural Park is a public shoreline that is the entire strip of land that is immediately adjacent to the ocean. There is a generous dirt walking path between Sunset Cliffs Blvd and the drop-off to the rocky beach. By doing a search on line I found several stories of people falling to their deaths in this area.


I'm not big on urban bicycling, however, it doesn't get much better than this. Two songs kept coming to mind...California Dreaming and the perfectly titled California Girls.



Every portion of the road provided perfect views of the Pacific and its shoreline. While pedaling BIG RED I spotted surfers, sea lions, and 3 dolphins...all spotted from sitting on the saddle of BIG RED.



This was my favorite resting spot. My body still recovering from my trek across the America. I could have sat here for hours. The only thing missing was a margaretta or other icy cold beverage.




There were wild flowers everywhere in San Diego.


No comments: