Monday, June 16, 2008

Mission: POSTPONED

My bike ride from my drive-way to Baton Rouge will have to wait for another time. Following a bike route titled "The Great Rivers Trail" during the flood of the century turned out to be bad timing. This morning as I peddled south of Muscatine IA I was diverted to Illinois. From there I traveled south to find all of the roads closed. I would have had take uncountable detours into the middle of Illinois to work my way south and then back west to the Mississippi River. Some of the towns that I would have traveled through were under water.

Traffic was another problem. Because of all of the detours the back roads that I was traveling on were loaded with semis and other vehicles. Forty miles into my ride this morning, I decided to turn back to Muscatine. Tomorrow morning I will work my way back home.

The picture below sums up my ill-fated bicycle trip the best. It was taken in Union Junction IA. My bike is leaning against a wall of sandbags that is protecting a service station from the flood waters surrounding the small Iowa town.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude,

what an adventure it sounds like it has been for you. Hopefully another time or another trip is in store for you. I hope you took pictures. The world has been going through some crazy weather and times. Keep it safe on the way home. Grant C

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is crazy. This weather has been nuts. Get home safe and sound. I am sure you are already planning your next adventure.
RN

Anonymous said...

Figured you must have started out with a raft or life jackets for each tire! We were wondering how you were going to get through all that. Smart move turning around. It probably would have been lots and lots of detours! Aunt Sue thinks the world is coming to an end with all this nutty weather!

Aunt Sandy

Unknown said...

Wow Jamie.... I know you will go again...wise choice right now! See you when you get Back